The forthcoming Scriptaculous (version 1.71?) may have an audio engine. The base of which is from yours truly.
- Start a sound at any time
- Stop that sound any time thereafter
- Start another sound while the previous sound(s) are playing
The result is a multi-track audio engine that is accessed through
Being so excited of my accomplishment, I wrote an email to Thomas Fuchs,
creator of Scriptaculous, telling him of what I did. He asked if he can
incorporate my work into the next release, as audio.js, along side
effects.js, dragdrop.js, etc. Of course I said yes.
As always, no plug-in allowed. Well… not entirely true. But the user is never prompted to install one. So it degrades nicely on all browsers and platforms.
- If you have a Mac, you’re all set. QuickTime takes care of all browsers.
- If you have IE, you’re also set. bgsound is a wonderful thing – wav w/ no plug-in.
- Opera? Terrific. Wav files with no plug-in.
- FF on the PC? Only if you have QT installed. Otherwise you hear nothing. For now.
To come are some very nice improvements in speed and functionality.